Balaclava and Elwood
The first church on this site was opened by Bishop Perry on January 29, 1871. It was a timber building accommodating about 300 people. It stood where the Parish Hall now stands. Its designer was the architect Francis Maloney White (1819-1888) who lived nearby in William Street.In 1882 the architects Reed and Barnes, soon to become Reed, Henderson and Smart, were commissioned to design a new church. The first service took place on December 6, 1883. Due to the Parish's efforts to reduce the large debt that had been incurred in the construction of the church and the vicarage, the building of the spire was delayed. Regrettably this was never to be built. With thanks to the St Kilda Historical Society for this history.
Read more about our first 50 years from 1883 - 1933 HERE
Read more about our beautiful stained glass HERE